CBS 21 Health News
- 3rd West Nile Virus sample collected in York Co.
- Half of all heart disease deaths in U.S. could be prevented
- Justices uphold use of drug implicated in botched executions
- WEB EXTRA: Montel Williams speaks about medical marijuana hold up
- SCOTUS: Gay couples have right to marry in all states
- 5 things: Same-sex marriage case divides public opinion
- Lawmaker uses technicality to push medical marijuana to House vote
- Dangerous jellyfish, including man-of-war, off New Jersey
- Wish-Bone ranch dressing recalled after thousands of cases filled with blue cheese
- Doctors report seeing increase in synthetic marijuana use
- Woman loses sight in one eye after mud run
- Perry Co. family warning others to seek help from domestic abuse
- Hawaii raises legal smoking age to 21
- Former Steelton water plant superintendent facing charges
- Pa. agency seeks applicants for Sandusky fine projects
- Pa. House OKs changes to background checks for youth workers
- FDA tells food industry to phase out artificial trans fats
- Contamination concerns worry residents after chemical plant fire
- PA wants record $8.9M fine against drilling firm
- 7 meaningless food label claims
- Baby hears parents for first time
- Colorado top court says Dish worker can be fired for medical marijuana
- Two groups join to bring awareness to elder abuse
- Mobile CPR system could save lives, researchers say
- CPR kit donation teaches Harrisburg youth life-saving skills
- Walgreens recalls vitamin bottles over safety concerns
- Emotions ran high at a medical marijuana town hall
- CBS 21 Town Hall medical marijuana panel and guest information
- Montel Williams rallies for medical cannabis ahead of CBS 21 Town Hall
- CBS 21 hosts "Your Voice, Your Future" Town Hall
- Some common heartburn drugs may increase heart attack risk
- Dept. of Health gives lyme disease prevention tips
- San Francisco approves health warning on sugary drink ads
- The fight over medical marijuana continues in the legislature
- New, potent cholesterol-lowering drug gets FDA advisory approval
- Sen. confirms Wolf's pick for Pa. physician general
- Insurers ask Pennsylvania regulators for big rate increases
- Parents hope cannabis oil will help daughter with Dravet Syndrome
- Pennsylvania braces for possible bird flu spread
- Website determines your risk of dying within 5 years
- FDA panel backs female libido pill with safety conditions
- Woman claims cat lick caused her to go blind
- Bruce Jenner reveals female transition to Caitlyn Jenner
- Six best ways to stop smoking
- Relationship-related deaths a recent problem in York Co.
- State wins court order in UPMC-Highmark fight over Medicare
- Man meets sister of guy whose face he now wears
- Report: FBI investigating medical device that spread cancer
- Mom claims daughter got lice and bed bugs at school
- Top health officials discuss state of mental health in Pa.
Deadly sore throat
Updated: Thursday, July 3 2014, 02:44 PM EDT
Posted by: Lea Jolan (LJWilson@SBGTV.com)
A rare condition that was nearly wiped out by a vaccine in the 80s is starting to reappear.
It's called acute epiglottitis and it may seem like a bad sore throat but can lead to more serious problems.
It starts as a viral infection then becomes bacterial and eventually the lower throat becomes so swollen it can cut off breathing.
Doctors say it is primarily found in men in their forties but can also be found in young women and children.
Some warning signs include trouble breathing and speaking, drooling and a high pitched sound when breathing.
The good news, if caught early, it i completely treatable.